Westmoreland Events: Photography Class, Reverse Basketball Game and Photos with the Easter Bunny
• The Blairsville Brass will participate in the 11 a.m. on April 3 worship at Derry First United Methodist Church, 311 N. Ligonier St. Details: 724-694-8333.
• The Westmoreland Photographers Society will offer a series of courses for beginners and novice photographers at 7 p.m. on April 6 and continuing on the first Tuesday of each month at Harrold Zion Evangelical Lutheran Church, 671 Baltzer Meyer Pike, Hempfield. There will be instruction from experienced members of the company, field trips, computer demonstrations and guest speakers. Participants must be members of the society. Dues are $30 per year; students, $15; and $30 plus $10 for each additional member for families and can be paid at the meeting. Reservations required. Reservations: [email protected]
• Representative Jason Silvis will host a seminar on Pennsylvania Concealed Carry Laws and Castle Doctrine 6-8 p.m. April 7 at Huber Hall, 300 S. Alexandria St., Latrobe. Representatives from Firearm Owners Against Crime, the Pennsylvania Game Commission, the Westmoreland County District Attorney’s Office and the Sheriff’s Office, as well as local and state police, will speak and answer questions. The county sheriff’s department will issue concealed carry permits. Applicants must be a Westmoreland County resident and have a valid Pa driver’s license. The cost of the permit is $20, cash or check.
• A reverse basketball game will be held at 6 p.m. on April 1 at the Latrobe High School Gymnasium, 131 High School Road. Doors open at 5:30 p.m. Sponsored by the Interact Clubs of Greater Latrobe and Ligonier Valley High Schools. There will be a basket raffle and donations will be accepted for St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital.
• Jeannette American Legion will host a great bingo at 1:00 p.m. April 3 at the post, 109 S. Fifth St. Doors open at 11:30 a.m. Complete additional package and promotions available. The kitchen will be open. Details: 724-600-5061.
• Photos with the Easter Bunny for Kids and Pets will take place from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. on April 3 at Mayor Dan Rose Park in downtown Irwin. Pets must be restrained. Cost: $10, for a digital photo to be emailed. Proceeds benefit Pet Friends Inc.
• St. Barbara Parish, Penn Township, will host its monthly bingo at 6:45 p.m. on April 5 at the church, 111 Raymaley Road. Please note change of date. Doors open at 5 p.m. Paper plans start at $27. There will be an unmissable jackpot and free coffee. The kitchen will be open and the building is handicapped accessible. Details: 724-744-4584 or 724-744-7474.
• A workshop painting a triple-layered wooden rabbit will take place at 6:30 p.m. on April 7 at the lodge at the Laurelville Retreat Center, 941 Laurelville Lane, Mt. Pleasant Township. No painting skills required. Cost: $35, drinks included. BYO snacks and soft drinks. Reservations required. Reservations: Laurelville.org.
• Excela Health will offer a wellness check-up diagnostic screenings 6:30-9:30 a.m. April 9 at Mt. Pleasant Excela Square in Frick, 508 S. Church St. Sponsored by Mt. Pleasant Rotary. Covid-19 instructions will be respected. Appointment required. Registration and details: 877-771-1234, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. weekdays.
• American Legion Auxiliary of Mt. Pleasant will meet at 6 p.m. April 5 at the post, 752 W. Main St. Officers will be elected. Lunch can be ordered from the post kitchen.
• Westmoreland Area Nurses Association will meet at 4 p.m. on April 4 at The Boulevard Restaurant, 900 Towne Square Dr, Greensburg. Details: Cordie McFeaters, 412-841-8529 or [email protected]
• Bullskin Opry will feature bluegrass music at 6 p.m. April 2 at Bullskin Grange Hall, 938 Pleasant Valley Road, Bullskin Township. Doors open at 5 p.m. Donations accepted. Seats provided. Food and drinks will be available. Beginner musicians welcome.
• The genealogical library of the Braddock Trail chapter of the Daughters of the American Revolution will be open to the public for spring and summer on April 5.
Submissions from nonprofit organizations for Briefly Speaking can be emailed to [email protected] or mailed to Briefly Speaking, 210 Wood St., Tarentum PA 15084. Include a full address and number phone during the day. Submissions are due at least two weeks prior to the event. Each advertisement is printed once; there are no fees.